Wildcats Comeback not Enough, Fall to Central Connecticut

Freshman attackman Harrison Manning had a goal and two assists for the Wildcats
Freshman attackman Harrison Manning had a goal and two assists for the Wildcats

Davidson, NC – It was a tale of two halves for the Davidson Wildcats. Coming off a series of tough defeats and with several players out to injury, the men’s lacrosse team fell behind Central Connecticut early and despite dominating the second half, dropped the game at home Monday night 17-14. The Blue Devils aimed to exploit the shortened Wildcats bench by turning the competition into an incredibly physical one. A combined 22 minutes worth of penalties were handed out to the two sides. Central Connecticut captialized on multiple man-up opportunities and their dominant performance on faceoffs to take a 10-4 lead into halftime.

It was the second half when Davidson came to life. Paced by team captain and two-time all conferece midfielder Nolan Canter (5 goals, 5 assists), the Wildcats scored the first 3 goals of the second half; the third coming on a backdoor feed from Canter to freshman Charlie Freeburg who scored one of his three goals on a wide open net. The ‘Cats ball movement began working on man-up opportunities of their own to get them back into the game.

The Wildcats added goals by freshman, Guy Scott and junior, Dave Sierra to push the game into a shootout. Davidson was able to reduce the lead to one goal 14-13, but that is as close as they were able to get as they possession in the fourth quarter was slowed down and maintained by Central Connecticut.

“We knew that we had to rely on our offense to carry us in this game” said Davidson coach Fuji Lozada, “I was proud of how our guys fought back and worked the offense to get us back into the game.” With injuries to Bolton Smith, Ben Gold, Grey Gordon and Wilson Purcell, Davidson had only 3 players with long-pole experince eligible to play in the game. Defensemen Chris Thompkins and David Curtis stepped up to coordinate the defense and Junior goaltender Henry Martin made 14 saves on 21 shots on goal in the second half to give the Wildcats a chance.

The Davidson men’s lacrosse team will return to action after the Easter break as they head to Charleston to take on the College of Charleston and The Citadel in back to back SELC games April 6th and 7th.